Happiness is a nice poo.
I am obsessed with my dog’s poo. Are they hard and round like walnuts, smooth and soft like sausages, mushy and watery? The state of his poo tells me the health of his digestive system. And seeing loose, watery stools distresses me! Or it used to anyway until I discovered my home-made colon cleanse. It is the best natural colon cleanse for detoxing. And my dog loves the sweet and coconuty taste!
Diarrhoea can be a sign of anything from an infection, food poisoning or intolerance to a new food. The colon cleanse recipe below is for infectious causes of acute diarrhoea.
Natural Colon Cleanse Recipe
Edible Bentonite Clay
Banaban Coconut Crunch
1. Dry mix 1:1:1 Bentonite Clay, Psyllium Husk and coconut crunch.
2. Wet mix 2 tablespoon honey to 2 cups warm filtered water. Stir until honey melts.
3. Add a tablespoon at a time of the dry mix to the wet mix and keep stirring. Work quickly because the bentonite will absorb the liquid. Stir dry mix to wet mix until you get the consistency of a thick paste similar to raw meat balls. Because that is exactly what you will be doing next. Roll them into balls! I like to hand feed my dog the balls because he thinks anything from my hands is a treat.
How does this work?
Unlike over-the-counter anti-diarrheals, this colon cleansegets to the source of the problem by absorbing the toxins causing the issue and cleaning out your dog's insides. And it does this in an effective and gentle way.
What is Bentonite Clay? How does it absorb toxins?
Bentonite Clay is a fine, odourless, cream-colored powder with a slightly earthy taste. It’s a healing clay that cleanses and detoxes the body. Although it is insoluble in water, it swells to approximately 12 times its volume when added to water.
Bentonite clay is highly absorbent and has negatively charged molecules. As it moves through the intestines it absorbs positively charged substances such as:
▪ Intestinal worms
▪ Heavy metals
▪ Pesticides and herbicides
Bentonite clay essentially absorbs toxins in the body. These toxins are then expelled from the body when your dog poos.
What to feed your dog during the colon cleanse?
A bland diet of cooked pumpkin and turkey. Read the reasons here
What to feed your dog after the colon cleanse?
The good flora in its gut must be replenished since the colon cleanse has completely cleaned out the digestive tract. Feed a good commercial probiotic or make your own kefir. My own dogs have kefir daily.
Will the cleanse interfere with medication?
Yes it will. Because of its highly absorbent nature, it will absorb and eliminate the medication. Feed the colon cleanse at least three hours before and after medication.
When should you visit your vet?
Please see your vet if your dog has any of these symptoms:
• blood in your diarrhoea
• tummy pain.
• If the diarrhoea does not start to settle after 2-3 days.