Our clinic offers a variety of treatment options and each option has different benefits. A typical session will include a gait and posture analysis and then a customised treatment plan which will include a combination of therapies to relieve pain and restore balance.
We offer the following treatment options:
Animal Neuro-Myofascial Release
Cycloid Vibration Therapy
Trans-cutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS)
Canine Myofunctional Therapy
A summary of each therapy is explained below.
Thermal imaging before the treatment allows us to objectively identify muscular imbalances and monitor treatment programs.
ANIMAL NEURO-MYOFASCIAL RELEASE (ANMR)
An alternative to the traditional manual form of spinal manipulation, ANMR (also known as Neuro-Muscular Release) is a form of spinal adjustment using a small instrument to correct structural misalignment and dysfunctioning joints.
- Aids in restoring proper communication between the spinal segment and the brain.
- Correct the alignment of joints and vertebrae to relieve pain
- Releases tight muscles
- Reduce muscle spasms
CYCLOID VIBRATION THERAPY (CVT)
CVT is a scientifically proven technology that stimulates the lymphatic system and blood circulation. A good circulation system is one of the keys to maintaining good health.
Both the Accell therapy bed and handheld device emits a multi-directional massage that dramatically improves circulation. CVT will benefit a number of conditions such as
- Muscle and joint stiffness
- Wound healing
- Before and after event warm-up.
- After event soreness
Also known as cold laser, therapeutic laser and low level laser therapy, laser therapy is a safe , painless and effective treatment for a wide variety of conditions. Laser therapy is an effective alternative for dogs for whom analgesic and anti-inflammatory medications are ineffective or produce negative side-effects. For example, dogs on long term use of steroids are ideal candidates for laser therapy as it is less invasive and with many similar anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Is an effective pain relief
- Speeds up tissue repair and regeneration
- Increases production of endorphins, natural body painkillers
- Increases Vascularization: Laser therapy increases blood flow to the tissues which assists wound healing.
- Improves circulation
Commonly used in traditional chinese medicine, Guasha is a very effective way to break up adhesions in the fascia using a specially designed tool.
TRANSCUTANEOUS ELECTRICAL NERVE STIMULATION (TENS)
TENS works by sending low level currents to an injured muscles, stimulating it and forcing it to contract. In arthritic dogs, TENS can stimulate stiff muscles to support the joint and suppress the athritic pain signals to the brain. TENS is an effective pain reliever. It helps the body produce endorphines, hormones that act as natural pain killers.
CANINE MYOFUNCTIONAL THERAPY (CMT)
Fancy words for remedial massage, some of the benefits of CMT include:
- A calming effect on the animal which helps prepare them mentally and physically for the ANMR session
- Increases mobility and flexibility of the musculoskeletal system
- Reduces muscle tension and fatigue
- Improves blood circulation for healthy muscle and bone
- Lengthens connective tissue for efficient muscle performance
- Improves mobility and flexibility
TRIGGER POINT THERAPY
A trigger point is a hyper-irritable taut band of muscle that is tender and painful. When an animal suffers myofascial trigger points, in addition to pain and muscular dysfunction, it would have limited range of motion and weakness. Unfortunately trigger points do not show up using current imaging methods. We identify trigger points through palpation and deactivate them using a variety of methods such as acupressure, transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) and the ANMR instrument.
This is a stretchy, hypoallergenic, athletic tape that lifts the skin and underlying muscles leading to increased blood flow and reducing inflammation and pain. Unlike conventional taping, which prevents movement, Canine Rocktape allows full movement of a taped area. Its properties distribute forces to other nearby areas. Canine Rocktape is useful for:
- Prolonging the effects of your therapy session
- Muscle sprains, tears and stiffness
- Stabilizing unstable joints such as luxating patellas
- Agility dogs - the tape increases proprioception and delays muscle fatique
- Decreasing pain
- Drains swelling and reduces bruising
Rocktape is water resistant and can be worn for up to 5 days.